You can't restore Active Directory (AD) to a domain controller (DC) while the Directory Service (DS) is running. To restore AD, perform the following steps.
- Reboot the computer.
- At the boot menu, select Windows 2003 Server. Don't press Enter. Instead, press F8 for advanced options. You'll see the following text.
OS Loader V5.0
Windows 2003 Advanced Options Menu
Please select an option:
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA Mode
Last Known Good Configuration
Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows NT domain controllers only)
Use | and | to move the highlight to your choice.
Press Enter to choose.
- Scroll down, and select Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows NT domain controllers only).
- Press Enter.
- When you return to the Windows 2003 Server boot menu, press Enter. At the bottom of the screen, you'll see in red text Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows NT domain controllers only).
The computer will boot into a special safe mode and won't start the DS. Be aware that during this time the machine won't act as a DC and won't perform functions such as authentication.
- Start NT Backup.
- Select the Restore tab.
- Select the backup media, and select System State.
- Click Start Restore.
- Click OK in the confirmation dialog box.
After you restore the backup, reboot the computer and start in normal mode to use the restored information.